How Much Does a Plumber Cost per Hour in Canada?
When you require plumbing services, your monthly budget can be a nightmare! Understanding how much your plumbing job will cost can be challenging, as plumbers often charge hourly. This guide will tell you how much a plumber costs per hour in Canada, helping you to understand reasonable rates. You can always count on Caldwell Plumbing for reliable plumbing information and services in the Durham region.
What is the Average Rate Per Hour for a Plumber?
The cost of a plumber, in general, depends on the scope of the job. The plumber may charge less per hour if the job is relatively straightforward and more for a more complex job. Here are some factors that might affect the rate of your plumbing costs:
● The number of plumbers required – if the job requires more than one professional, you may face higher hourly costs.
● Unexpected additional work – if your plumber encounters another issue while fixing your plumbing, they may need to charge you more for the extra labour. For instance, if you pay a plumber to install a toilet only to find that the line outside your home is damaged, you’ll need to pay more.
● Materials – your plumber isn’t just charging you for their labour. They must also factor the cost of materials into their hourly rate. You may be charged more if you require expensive parts and components for your repairs.
The average hourly cost for a Canadian plumber is between $200 and $300.
How To Get Fair Plumber Rates?
When you have plumbing problems, you need a trustworthy professional plumber. However, there are many untrustworthy plumbers out there who may rip you off. You’ll need a more discerning approach to find a trustworthy plumber and access a fair price for your plumbing job.
Here are some steps to take to ensure you’re getting a fair price:
● Ask questions – you need a complete understanding of the scope of the job before you even hire your plumber. Of course, they may encounter some additional issues along the way, but they must provide you with the required tools, materials, and labour. This will help you to understand what you’re paying for.
● Get multiple quotes – the only way to assess a fair price for your plumbing job is to get multiple quotes from reputable plumbers. Try and retrieve more than 3 quotes to determine an average and understand the reasonable price. If the service is too cheap, this could indicate lower quality materials and service, so it’s always best to opt for a moderate price. This process may be less feasible if you need an emergency plumber.
● Read the reviews – if you’re worried about a plumber overcharging you or taking too long on purpose to up the cost, then you should read their reviews. If the reviews mention scamming, unfair charges, or legal action, you should blacklist this plumbing service.
● Hold back 10% of the contract price – sometimes, subcontractors can claim against you when they don’t receive payment from the primary contractor. You should hold back at least 10% of the contracted price to protect yourself. You will only be required to pay this 10% should a subcontractor make a claim.
If you take the above precautions when assessing a plumber’s price, you can ensure you will stay caught up and end up paying far too much for a simple job!
What to Do If Your Plumber Overcharges?
The Business Practices and Consumer Protection Act will protect your best interests should your plumber overcharge you. If the final cost of the service is substantially larger than the quoted estimate, you may be entitled to make a claim. Some things might disqualify you from claiming your plumber, however:
● You keep changing your mind about the services you want, which incurs additional costs.
● Your plumber informed you of a more significant issue, and you consented to these repairs.
If your plumber simply overcharges you without being able to provide a good reason, you should pursue legal action and withhold funds.
Contact Caldwell Plumbing for a Reliable Plumbing Quote Today!
Unfortunately, hiring a plumber requires a certain level of discernment. You need to know what to look for to spot overcharging and unfair prices. If your plumber charges you over $300 per hour for their services, you must know precisely why.
For transparent, honest, and reliable plumbing services in Durham Region, you should contact our friendly team of experienced plumbers at Caldwell Plumbing!
We can provide you with an honest evaluation of the project and the expected costs – so you’re in the know when it comes to your plumbing contractor. Proudly serving Durham Region residents and businesses for over 30 years.